Saturday, November 24, 2007

#21 Podcasts

I have to admit, I personally don't really like podcasts. I like listening to music but not really to people talking. I have tried subscribing to a number of different podcasts, but when I start listening to them...my mind tends to wander off and then I miss what is being said. I did subscribe to a few podcasts from the ABC radio station, Triple J, ones like the new music podcast, the film review podcast etc... but I ended up never listening to them. When I got my new iPod, I decided it would be great to subscribe to all of those radio shows with comedians, like Hamish and Andy, Merrick and Rosso.. but again, I never listened to them. But anyway, I did look through Podcast.net and one great podcast that I have subscribed to is from the SirsiDynix Institute, and basically you get the audio portion of seminar's delivered to your desktop.

Podcasts could be very useful in libraries in a number of ways. We could have our own podcasts that we do on a regular basis where we discuss books, library events etc, they could be targeted towards specific groups such as youth, book clubs, mothers. We could have podcasts of the actual library events, so if we had an author talk, we could podcast it and make it available from our webpage. Podcasting is certainly one tool that I think we can start to utilise.

No comments: